Setting the Stage for a Successful Sale
What's the best way to help your home make a glorious first impression on would-be buyers? Real estate experts agree that "staging" (also called "fluffing") your home to show it in the most favorable light is well worth your time and effort.
Beyond the pre-sale cleaning and organizing you would expect to do, successful staging includes strategically arranging objects and furniture, adding decorative touches and more. Here are a few tips from the pros to help buyers make an immediate emotional connection with your home:
- Add a pot of fresh blooming flowers to the entryway (yellow is a very welcoming color)
- Open blinds to show off nice views. A vase on the window sill plays down less attractive views
- Add throw pillows, a soft lap blanket, candles and a candy dish for a cozy living room
- Use a soft bedspread, quilt, pillows and a throw rug to turn a bedroom into a relaxing retreat
- Set your dining room table with dishes, placemats, wine glasses, etc.
- Banish television sets, computers, kitchen and bathroom appliances from sight
Whether you do the staging yourself or have your home fluffed by a professional, one Chicago-area expert confirms that homes that are staged often sell 75% faster and for 3%-6% higher than the asking price!
Tip # 1
Your real estate agent is a valuable resource for home staging ideas and referrals to professional stagers in your area.
Tip # 2
Don't forget the garage! Make sure surfaces are clean and neat. Store tools and gardening products to make room for cars.
Republished with Permission from HomePages.com
© 2008, HouseValues Inc.